Posted by MJ on 9:07 PM

07.11.2009
I have one more week of crazy classes, then things will calm down a little -- I hope.

The good news-- while I've been behind in blogging... I have been keeping up with all my workouts and burpees!

So Tuesday was the crazy rowing day. Wednesday was easier.

Wednesday we had to do agility drills - which I actually like and am pretty good at. To do agility drills essentially you "play hopscotch", hop, jog, do the "typewriter" and such through a flat ladder. Well as we were doing them, the person in front of me was struggling, so I had to stop. As I was getting started again, my toe got caught on the ladder and I "messed it up" -- messing up the ladder is a penalty of 5 burpees. I took advantage of that, to cut down on the burpees I owed. (these are not us, but this is the kind of thing we do!)
The main WOD was overhead squats, essentially maxing out. Overhead was a bit too tough, so must of us women did back squats (where you set the bar on your upper back)
Well unfortunately my arms and upper body maxed out WELL BEFORE my legs even got close.
I had a hard time getting the bar positioned -- it was heavy. lol. But once I got into the squat it was too easy. I'm not sure how to fix this.
My warm-up squats were
3 x 45lb bar
3 x 35 lb bar
2 x 25 lb bar
Maxing out -- weights include the 35 lb bar.
1 x 45lb
1 x 55lb
1 x 65lb
1 x 75lb
1 x 85lb

I had not problem doing these weights at all as far as my legs were concerned. I just had a heck of a time getting the bar where it needed to be and balancing it.

In addition to the 5 extra burpees I owed, I did my daily 31.
Side note: I'm watching the CMT Country Music Awards -- a rerun and I just learned that Darius Rucker (Country Star) is the former lead singer from Hootie & the Blowfish. (I guess if I paid attention to the names of people in a band I would have realized this sooner) Cool!

Thursday
Today was supposed to be an easier day since it would be day 4. (most people do 3 days, rest one, then do two more. but because of my schedule I've been doing 4 on 3 off)
My punishment for coming on day 4 was to row a 2000m. You can read about my fun rowing on Tuesday. So Today I did my burpees FIRST. (all 32 of them!)
Then I started my row.

I'm proud to say that I rowed straight through -- no stopping for a break. I finished my 2k in 11:59.5 which puts my pace at 2:59.9 (according to the monitor on the machine). On Tuesday I averaged 3 mins for my 500m. I am quite proud that I was able to keep that same pace for the entire 2k. It was NOT easy. My legs hurt, my back hurt, my arms were sore. But WOW did it feel good!!!
(A rowing machine -- in case you haven't seen them) In the past I've only done stationary rows - or rows with barbells, I've never done them on the "sliding" rowers before. It kills my legs!

Friday.
Rest day. It would be great if that were true. I did rest most of the day. About 10:30 I started my burpees (much like I will tonight). I was watching a movie (Music & Lyrics) and did them in chunks of 10. I did 43. (which takes 10 more off what I owe!)

I had a minor meltdown... I stepped on the scale. EEK. I was up 8lbs. Now, I'm not one for excuses, but to be easier on myself, I acknowledge that this is not the "typical" time that I weigh myself, in fact it's about as far from my normal time as possible so I know that played a role in it. I know people say that muscle weighs more than fat.. blah blah. To me that was always just an excuse. But I'm kinda beginning to believe it. Why? Because I've noticed more definition in my legs, my back, etc. My clothes fit nicely. I even wore a pair of shorts the other day that I bought last summer and needed to "get into" and they looked good! So something must be working right? I measured myself on the 1st and compared it to my measurements around the 15th. Most of them were larger.. ugh. So I'm a bit frustrated. What I can say is that I can do 5 burpees easily, 10 with moderate effort, and I can do about 30 in less than 25 minutes, taking breaks. I'm trying to see the positives.

Food has been decent. Most of this week I ate 2 meals and 2 snacks that were dead on Zone. My dinners were not exactly zone, but I noticed I don't get late night cravings, and I'm not hungry at all! (and I figure worst case, I'm not eating any worse than I was when I was eating "healthy" before)

That brings me to today.
I am planning on doing an extra 10 burpees again today. (as soon as I get the motivation to go do them)!

** And I'm super proud of Charlie, a member of the Barn, who is competing in the CrossFit Games! Right now after 4 events, he's in 50th out of 74, there are 4 more events to go (1 today and 3 tomorrow).

0 comments:

Labels

Search