Posted by MJ on 7:07 PM

Technically I'm on week... umm... I kinda lost count. I will re-calculate and CONTINUE. I knew I had slipped up. I knew I let things get to me. I knew I let myself go. It was bad. It was ugly and I ignored the evidence. I knew my clothes were getting tighter, I knew I was looking plumper. I ignored it. I blamed it on my schedule, I blamed it on monopoly, I blamed it on a stressful professor, I still - partially at least- blame my mom. But I know the only REAL person to blame is me. I put the food in my mouth. I sit on the couch. I "drove-thru" for 3 meals a day. I know part of it my own sabotage thinking-- that I can't do it in this environment. (My house and current situation) but the reality is -- no matter how hard it is... I HAVE to.

I went to the doctor last week and was forced to face the numerical reality of the past 3 months. I've gained back WAY TOO MUCH. And am now headed forward on my journey. I REFUSE to buy bigger clothes. -- in fact I have TONS of motivation to move smaller again. I'm going to HAWAII!! .... and soon. DECEMBER.

My environment will be my biggest challenge. I've managed to get my fast food addiction cured -- mostly because it costs too much (and I'm saving for Hawaii). But I know once I get back in the good habits -- for whatever reasons -- it will become second nature again. Dad has mentioned getting healthy too, but right now we face the same problem(s) -- a house full of (currently) 4 candy dishes and 2 cookie jars and often several types of chips and other junk foods, including chocolate milk (tons of sugar!!). I'm going to be back on the Zone. I'm not sure exactly which plan dad wants to follow but we have to get Mom on board and I don't know how.

I've tried convincing her she needs to eat better too -- by the way she bought a bag of "blonde" Oreos on Saturday. Today they were gone. She had 3, I had 6. (or maybe 9) Dad ate the REST in 3 days. He's diabetic. Do you see the problem? Yes, I know he needs to take responsibility for his actions and what he eats -- but if it's not there to tempt him (us) isn't that easier -- at least until the new habits take hold. One of my biggest issues in my latest relapse was due to Oreos. Seriously, How do I get her on board? How do I convince her that by enabling our binging and poor eating habits she is literally helping us kill ourselves?? I'm serious. We need help. I know I can't force her to do anything but how can we get her to UNDERSTAND? It's not that we are weak willed, it's not that we don't know better, it's HARD. This whole process is hard and she isn't helping. I'm tired of using excuses (her being the biggest one) but I don't know how to do this surrounded by pastas, cookies, candy, pizza, ice cream... etc. Like I said I've tried getting her to get on board with us -- even simple things like suggesting baked chips over regular ones. (to no avail.) Ok I'm done rambling.

I'm currently recovering from "flu-like" symptoms so as soon as I'm on my feet (and my appetite returns) it will be exercise and eating healthy for me. (and hopefully Dad -- and Mom-- too)

All advice welcome.

4 comments:

Irene said...

I'm glad you're back at it. Are there any local support groups in your area? Weight Watchers or anything similar? There's nothing like a group (in person) to help with the accountability. It's really hard when not everyone at home is on board. It sounds like your dad is trying, at least. Change of habit is hard for a lot of people. Your mom will be a toughing.

I'm super excited for you that you get to go to Hawaii!

Take care and post often. Sometimes that helps with accountability.

Anonymous said...

Can you ask your mother to buy such items only for herself, and if she does, to hide them? I ask Josh to hide candy from me and I don't ever even know if there's any in the house or not. Works quite well, actually. Out of sight, out of mind.

She should be easy to convince considering the fragile nature of your father's condition.

This is John M, by the way.

Unknown said...

Hey Megan,

Good to hear from you again. I too kinda feel off the boad... haven't been consistent about CF and I've been eating really bad (as evident by my nachos for dinner last night). But like you the thought of Hawaii has started to motivate me as well as the Turkey Trot I want to do (and need to register for still... yikes).

I wish I had some advise on dealing with the food stuff, but I don't. I don't have to deal with living with other folks, but that also means I don't have anyone there to stop me from running out and buying some Ben & Jerry's :-( I did restock on some clean foods and I brought my food for today, while its not exactly Zone its a lot closer than what I have been eating. I know some folks from my gym said that they started taking pictures of all their meals and posting them as a way to keep it legit. Maybe I should try that...

Anyway, good luck with the figuring something out at home and let me know if you get any good advise.

Christine Pankuch said...

Hey Megan,

I want to jump back on the wagon with you! I lost 110 lbs, however, between OT at work, eating a toddlers leftovers, being sick and breaking my foot, I have started to gain back which I am NOT happy about! I want to stop before it gets way out of control. Like you said, I'm done with excuses. I need to lose 20lbs to get to where I was and it seems a lot harder to lose 20lbs then it was to lose 110 lbs!

It always seem easier when you have someone to do it with. I have never done a blog.

As it seems easier with a target date, like you and Hawaii, I'm getting married February 5th and going to Hawaii April 11th for our Honeymoon. Those are my targets. I don't think it is too late for my wedding. Some progress to be made...

Love your cousin,
Christine

Labels

Search